Medical Director Equine Practice Ltd.
Strada Valle del Baccano, 80
Campagnano di Roma (RM)
Having graduated in 1982 from the University of Perugia with a vote of 110/110 cum laude; from 1983 to 1986 he served as the Official Veterinarian at the Carabinieri Mounted Regiment of Rome.
In 1985 he had his first brief experience in the United States, namely in Florida at the Pompano Beach racecourse for trotters, where he was hosted by two well-established colleagues.
Since about 1986 he began working as a freelancer at the Rome Trotting Racecourse and over the following years has worked for the best stables of the region.
In 1985 together with a colleague he founded a veterinary hospital for horses where he began practicing surgery.
In 1987, after having had his first experiences in the use of arthroscopy, he enhanced his professional experience at the Equine Hospital of Solvalla in Stockholm, where Prof. G. Nilsson had already been operating for some time in arthroscopy and Dr. C. Ruelker dealt mostly with the clinical aspects.
In 1990 he attended the “Advanced Equine Arthroscopy Surgery Course” at the Colorado State University, where he also attended the “Diagnosis, Medical and Surgical Management of the Acute Abdomen in the Horse Course” in 1992.
In 1991 and 1994 he extended his professional experience in the Department of Equine Surgery at the Ohio State University.
In 1994 he attended the “Advanced Equine Veterinary Course” of the International Society of Osteosynthesis (AO-ASIF) in Davos – Switzerland.
During his professional career he has performed predominantly surgical and clinical work on performance racing horses, both trotters and gallopers.
Since 1997, he has been carrying out mainly clinical and surgical activities at the hospital for horses “Equine Practice Ltd” in Campagnano of Rome, where he is the Medical Director. He has been the president of the SIVE (Italian Society for Equine Vets) from 2001 to 2003.
He has also been holding the position of an adjunct professor at the University of Teramo at the School of Medicine and Surgery for the Horses.
From 2008 to 2011 he has been a board member of WEVA (World Equine Veterinary Association).
List of publications and presentations at national and international conferences:
- Treatment of Arthritis/Osteoarthritis and Some Joint and Synovial Infections with Hyaluronic Acid of a High Molecular Weight Through Intra-articular Injection. Veterinarian Objectives and Documents, Year IV – N. 1 1985.
- Removal of Osteocartilagineous Fragments in 19 Cases of Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD) of the Tibiotalar Joint in Italian Trotters and Saddle Horses. Ippologia 1 (2) 67-70 1990.
- Pre-purchase Examination of Trotter Horses. IX National Congress of the Italian Society of Hippology. Bergamo 1993
- 134 Horse with Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Tarso-Crural Joint. Clinical Consideration and Results Following Arthroscopic Surgery. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. Vol. 16, n 8, 1996
- Lateral Approach for Arthrocentesis of the Proximal Interphalangeal Joint of the Horse. Equine Practice, Vol. 19, N.3 1997
- Injuries of the Proximal Portion of the Suspensory Ligament. Ippologia Year 9, N.3, 1998
- Apical Osteotomy of Proximal Sesamoid Bones through Arthroscopy. Ippologia, Year 11, N.1, 2000
- The Clinical Importance of the Scintigraphy in the Prevention of Catastrophic Injuries in the Thoroughbred. 7th World Congress WEVA- SIVE, Sorrento (Italy) 2001.
- Diagnostic Arthroscopy of the Fetlock Joint: Findings and Prognosis. 7th World Congress WEVA-SIVE, Sorrento (Italy) 2001.
- Liquid or Gas Joint Distension at the Arthroscopic Examination of the Horse. Ippologia, Year 13, N. 4, 2002
- Tearing of the medial palmar intercarpal ligament: incidence and influence on the prognosis of the carpal injury of the racehorses. 8th World Congress WEVA, Buenos Aires, 2003.
- Endoscopic Resection of the Flexor Carpi Retinaculum with Distal approach: Preliminary Notes. L. Valbonetti, F. Canonici, V. Varasano, L. Petrizzi, SIVE National Congress 2004.
- Exostoses of the caudal aspect of the distal radius in six horses: effectiveness of the ultrasonographic examination and endoscopic treatment. 9th World Congress WEVA, Marrakech, 2006.
- Preparation of the patient, the surgical facilities and postoperative management of the patient. AO-ASIF Course. Cremona 2007.
- Diagnosis and surgical treatment of slab fractures of the third carpal bone. AO-ASIF Course. Cremona 2007.
- Use of Stem Cells from Fat in the Platelet Gel in the Arthroscopic Treatment of a Subchondral Bone Cyst of the Medial Condyle of the Femur of a Horse. D. Amaddeo, F. Canonici, K. Barbaro, V. Serata, P. Bonini, F. Scholl, G. L. Autorino, SIVE National Congress 2008.
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Pathological Conditions of the Fetlock Area. SIVE National Congress 2008.
- Retrospective study on the effectiveness of the arthroscopic treatment for fragmentation of the proximal sesamoid bone: 109 cases. 10th World Congress WEVA, Moscow, 2008.
- K. Barbaro, P. Bonini, C. Gentili, R. Cancedda, F. Canonici, G.L. Autorino, D. Amaddeo (2008), Stem Cells from Horse Fat: their Use in Bone Regeneration. Act X Alghero National Congress, October 2008.
- Diagnosis and treatment of surgical conditions of the carpal canal. 11th World Congress WEVA, Guarujà, SP Brazil 2009.
- Diagnosis and surgical treatment of slab fractures of the third carpal bone. 11th World Congress WEVA, Guarujà, SP Brazil 2009.
- Retrospective study on findings and prognosis in middle carpal joint diagnostic arthroscopies: 68 cases. F. Canonici, V. Albanese. 11th World Congress WEVA, Guarujà, SP Brazil 2009.
- Diagnosis and surgical treatment of slab fractures of the third carpal bone, AEVEE Congress, Segovia, Spain 2011.
- Diagnosis and treatment of the pathologic condition of the fetlock joint, AEVEE Congress, Segovia, Spain 2011.
- Tendon sheath diseases: disorders and treatment. 12th World Congress WEVA, Hyderabad, India 2011.
- Superficial digital flexor tendinitis in the athletic horse: how to manage it. 12th World Congress WEVA, Hyderabad, India 2011.
- In vitro isolation and culture of chondrocytes derived from auricular cartilage of the horse. Barbaro, F. Canonici, A. Fagiolo, C. Eleni, A. Zepparoni, A. Altigeri, S. Sittinieri, C. Cocumelli, C. Roncoroni, D. Amaddeo. XIV Congresso Nazionale S.I.Di.L.V. – Sorrento (NA), 24-26 October 2012 Oral presentation
- Endoscopic treatment of the aseptic tenosynovitis of the digital sheath: retrospective study of 33 cases . G. Celani, F. Canonici, L. Petrizzi. Ippologia 2, 3-12 – 2013
- Study of in vitro differentiation of chondrocytes isolated from equine trachea. K. Barbaro, F. Di Egidio, A. Amaddeo, F. Canonici, G. Barraco, G. Lupoli, C. Gallottini, R. Eggenhöffner, P. Ghisellini, C. Roncoroni, D. Amaddeo. Congresso NAMABIO COST – Venezia 25-27 March 2015 • Oral presentation
- Regenerative endodontic therapy in veterinary medicine with stem cells and nanohydrossiapatite. In vitro and subsequent in vivo application of cystic lesions (part 1) Barbaro, G. Barraco, A. Amaddeo, A. Altigeri, A. Zapparoni , P. Ghisellini, C. Rando, F. Canonici, R. Eggenhöffner, G. Lupoli. 34° SIE National Congress – Looking the future – Bologna 5-7 November 2015. Oral presentation
- Experimental treatment of endodontic cysts with nano hydossiapatite. (part 2) K. Barbaro, S. Pagano, C. De Carolis, G. Barraco, A. Amaddeo, A. Altigeri, A. Zapparoni, P. Ghisellini, C. Rando, F. Canonici, R. Eggenhöffner, G. Lupoli. 34° SIE National Congress – Looking the future – Bologna 5-7 November 2015. Oral presentation
- Articular Cartilage Repair: regeneration of hyaline cartilage in damaged joints. F. Canonici1, G. Lupoli, G. Barraco, R. Eggenhoffner, C. Gallottini, P. Ghisellini, A. Amaddeo, A. Zepparoni, C. Cocumelli, S. Torchia, L. Alfieri, K. Barbaro,6 March 16-19 –2016 Los Angeles, Calif., USA 45th Annual Meeting & Exhibition of the AADR 40th Annual Meeting of the CADR (J Dent. Res. 95 (Spec Iss A):1106, URL,2016). Poster
- Evolution of in vitro differentiation of chondrocytes isolated from equine trachea. K. Barbaro, F. Di Egidio, A. Amaddeo, A. Fagiolo, C. Roncoroni, F. Canonici, S. Eramo, G. Barraco, C. Gallottini, D. Amaddeo, G. Lupoli March 16-19-2016 Los Angeles, Calif., USA 45th Annual Meeting & Exhibition of the AADR 40th Annual Meeting of the CADR. Poster
- Regenerative Medicine: repair of articular hyaline cartilage in damaged joints. F. Canonici, C. Rando, C. Roncoroni , R. Eggenhöffner, A. Cersini, A. Amaddeo, F. Di Egidio, A. Zepparoni, A. Altigeri, C. Cocumelli, P. Ghisellini, K. Barbaro. IADR/AADR/CADR March 22-25, 2017, in San Francisco, Calif., USA. Poster
- Disorders of the hyoid apparatus and the lateral compartment of the guttural pouches: diagnosis and treatment. Fise Lazio/SIVE Meeting. Rome 2017.
- Different disorders of the knee: joints and sheths. How to manage them. 23°International Sive Congress. Naples
- How to inject or block the carpal canal. 23° International SIVE congress. Naples 2017.
- Tissue regeneration: advanced ceramics and composites. F. Canonici, A. Cersini, C. Cocumelli, E. Galvano, F. Di Egidio, A. Amaddeo, A. Fagiolo, C. Roncoroni, A. Altigeri, A. Zepparoni, P. Ghisellini, C. Rando, L. Giacomelli, K. Barbaro, R. Eggenhöffner. International conference TRACE- Genova, Italy – October 19-20, 2017. International Conference TRACE- Conference Book pag. 14. Oral presentation